brokenh board

ruining peoples lives since 2000
It is currently Nov 20 17 2:44:49 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: The future of this broken home...
PostPosted: Apr 16 12 4:46:51 am 
Board Slut

A follow-up to my message about the spam:

BH has been around for a long time. Longer than most websites on the web today and nearly as long as Papa Roach themselves have been an solid, established band. That said, the forum has basically become stagnant over the years. Nearly zero growth over the years since we were de-throned as the official forum. Server bills were unpaid, others moved on and it got quiet. On the other hand, we've all pretty much grown up quite a bit and have lives.

The community we have here will never die, but the phpBB forum likely will over the years ahead.

Here's a proposal:
We make the move to Facebook. I can start a private(?) group and we keep this going there. We're all more active there anyways and I think it could be better. All the posts from here will be archived and you can download the backup for safe keeping if you want.

Or not. We can stay here, maybe not everyone is on Facebook or wants to give it up to big brother.

Either way, brokenh itself isn't going away as long as I keep paying my own (cheap) annual hosting bill. No rush, but let's figure it out what's best for us to stay connected going forward.

I love you mother fuckers.

Post subject: Re: The future of this broken home...
PostPosted: Apr 16 12 3:28:47 pm 
Crackhead

I've always been proud of how BH seemingly outrode the tide of emerging social networking such as Twitter and FB. I only cancelled my a/c cos I had to but nowadays no one seems to be interested in BH however I suggest we keep it going, I wouldnt like a FB group. This place remains exclusive. I still like that.

PostPosted: Apr 16 12 4:19:53 pm 
infestworld.com

Actually, I don't like the idea of moving on to Facebook. I still visit this place when I open my browser, and I know most of you are doing the same.
Most of you read what's new and exit the website because there's nothing new.

I would like to see that we blow some new life into this motherfucker. New forum, look and feel and perhaps a decent frontpage?
Let's give this a try before we decide to quit, why not huh? I'll help out if I can.

Peace.

PostPosted: Apr 17 12 3:25:29 am 
Board Slut

Harmen wrote:
Let's give this a try before we decide to quit, why not huh? I'll help out if I can.

Fair enough, but there's no quitting, just talking about moving the forum to a place where we all are anyways. That's all.

PostPosted: Apr 17 12 4:53:45 am 

Even though Im still new around here, I must say that I am all in for Harmen's idea : a fresh new look wouldn't hurt.

PostPosted: Apr 17 12 10:21:44 pm 
Board Slut

Indeed, my vote goes to Harmen's idea aswell! I still check this place (nearly) daily, wouldnt like to see it go away..

DJpsycho wrote:
Wim, you are my hero.

PostPosted: Apr 19 12 5:17:45 pm 
Time Bomb

I don't think it's quitting at all. It's leaving a sinking ship. It's easy to label it as quitting when you're not footing the bill--although perhaps I am too sensitive about money. It's the jewish blood. Adir knows. We all use facebook anyway. Facebook is free, spam-free, and easy to see what's up. It just seems to make more sense to use that for what this board has turned into. It'll serve the same purpose but do a better job of it. My two cents.

PostPosted: Apr 19 12 9:31:21 pm 
Moshed Potato

I think it is a good idea, have to appreciate that most people now also use their phones for their internet use and for that reason things like facebook/twitter are now how people communicate online what with the easy use of apps etc. For the growth of the BH community I think it would be better because no one goes on forums anymore full stop...

However, I am not on Facebook so it would be a goodbye from me if this was to happen :(

Other than that, only other thing I can think of is if we create an App. My brother is a software genius and does that sorta thing for a living I could have words with him. He often produces things for Android but I am pretty sure he could do something for iOS however Blackberry is debatable

Zach if you think the app thing is a good idea I could have a word with him. Dunno how it would work but could be good.

PostPosted: Apr 20 12 3:19:49 pm 
infestworld.com

I'm pretty sure there's a phpBB3 mobile add-on which let's you view and post in a mobile optimised theme.

PostPosted: Apr 20 12 6:09:54 pm 
Here in my Stoned Head

Speaking as the longest running member on this forum, and therefore electing myself as ruler of the earth, I think Facebook makes more sense.

PostPosted: Apr 20 12 6:10:40 pm 
Here in my Stoned Head

I also just realised that it's been over 10 years since I registered. Old.

PostPosted: Apr 20 12 11:11:38 pm 
Board Slut

Location: For the last time, Turk, I'm Dominican! Why'd you tell JD our baby's blaxican?
if I recall, there used to be a group on Facebook a few years ago...but the board was still ok so no one used it (the 16 members that were there)...

I like the idea of having a FB group since a lot of us are on there and probably visit that site more than most, but I think Harmen has a point we should consider...there's no point in having another place to gather if there's no activity which is what slowly declined this place...

Are we going to have an active community after weeks/months after the initial creation/move to a new group?...I sure hope so, because, well, I like you people

PostPosted: Apr 24 12 12:41:47 am 
Gig Virgin

it all went to shit with the animated avatars.

PostPosted: Apr 25 12 4:23:26 pm 
Here in my Stoned Head

Disturbed1313 wrote:
if I recall, there used to be a group on Facebook a few years ago...but the board was still ok so no one used it (the 16 members that were there)...

I like the idea of having a FB group since a lot of us are on there and probably visit that site more than most, but I think Harmen has a point we should consider...there's no point in having another place to gather if there's no activity which is what slowly declined this place...

Are we going to have an active community after weeks/months after the initial creation/move to a new group?...I sure hope so, because, well, I like you people

Facebook has changed quite a lot recently, and improves activity on pages by publishing content on a user's wall. So whoever is the admin just needs to post regular news, or links to interesting threads and that should suck people in to using the activity page.

PostPosted: May 01 12 12:18:22 pm 
Hardcore Fan

it would be sad to see this place go but like a lot of people have already said. FB does make more sense.

I have had held a little pride in this place just becuase I knew that I was going to a place where there were actual hardcore Roach fans here to talk about the music and not just how hott Jacoby is. I cannot say I still come here daily or even weekly but I do still stop by.

I love my bh family.

"and I give these words to you ...because music is energy, and Papa Roach is energy and we are heart and we are soul and we are passion. So this is yours, this music is yours..............."
"But the rest is really connecting with Kate." "Kate is meant for blasting" "Can't wait till I have Kate on my hands." "Kate came today, i like her!"

PostPosted: May 01 12 3:10:38 pm 
Groupie

kate-marie wrote:
it would be sad to see this place go but like a lot of people have already said. FB does make more sense.

- Agree!

I love my bh family.

- As do i, wouldn't like to "loose" any of you guys.

PostPosted: Jun 13 12 8:54:35 pm 
Board Slut

HOw much are the monthly server costs? and who is paying them right now? I'm anti Facebook..

ImageImage