Post subject: The Connection Reviews
PostPosted: Sep 18 12 1:32:50 am 
Board Slut

Rocksound:

8/10

Post subject: Re: The Connection Reviews
PostPosted: Sep 18 12 5:42:48 am 
Hardcore Fan

Was looking forward to the Walking Dead song but apparently all it is "droning". huh? O well.

PostPosted: Sep 18 12 11:05:57 am 
Board Slut

Walking Dead is the only one that isn't hitting me like the other samples, the chorus sounds pretty good just the verses sound exactly like a Trapt song. That watered down, "heavy" radio friendly style, but we'll see.

PostPosted: Sep 19 12 2:05:44 am 
Hardcore Fan

I'm really liking what I'm hearing from the entire cd now.

PostPosted: Sep 19 12 7:19:37 am 
Board Slut

Burning Blood wrote:
I'm really liking what I'm hearing from the entire cd now.

PostPosted: Sep 19 12 7:28:57 am 
Time Bomb

"Even their most cynical of detractors will find difficult to knock." Yep. Pretty much.

My only complaint so far: needs more rap.

PostPosted: Sep 19 12 9:09:05 am 
Board Slut

Anyone read German? http://www.tribe-online.de/music/musik- ... onnection/

PostPosted: Sep 20 12 6:27:53 am 
Hardcore Fan

DJpsycho wrote:
"Even their most cynical of detractors will find difficult to knock." Yep. Pretty much.

How much rap is there on the album ?

PostPosted: Sep 20 12 11:00:53 am 
Board Slut

KK_RoAcH wrote:
DJpsycho wrote:

One song has both verses (Won't Let Up) and another has it during the bridge (Not That Beautiful). Both instances of it, however, are sublime.

PostPosted: Sep 21 12 6:57:17 am 
Hardcore Fan

syntheticroach wrote:
KK_RoAcH wrote:
DJpsycho wrote:

One song has both verses (Won't Let Up) and another has it during the bridge (Not That Beautiful). Both instances of it, however, are sublime.

So all up 3 songs have rap.
I have not heard the album as yet, im sure i'll love it but I think they should have put a bit of rap in every song like good old infest.
LOL

PostPosted: Sep 21 12 6:49:30 pm 
Time Bomb

KK_RoAcH wrote:
syntheticroach wrote:
KK_RoAcH wrote:
DJpsycho wrote:

So all up 3 songs have rap.
I have not heard the album as yet, im sure i'll love it but I think they should have put a bit of rap in every song like good old infest.
LOL

Don't get me wrong though. This is one of their best works--BELIEVE THE HYPE!

PostPosted: Sep 22 12 12:48:58 am 
Board Slut

http://www.rocknrose.net/Music.html#PRTC:

PAPA ROACH
The Connection
(Eleven Seven Music)

Papa Roach are kicking some serious ass on ‘The Connection’, their seventh (if you include their 1997 indie release) studio album. It’s been almost 13 years since Papa Roach first infested *cough*the world with their music. Since then they have had their share of musical highs and lows. What they’ve done on ‘The Connection’ though, is gather the best elements of their sound from over the course of their career, so you get a definite essence of old-school Papa Roach. The songs provide a bit of metal, some straight-up rock, a good dose of hip-hop and a light dusting of pop. The California quartet is also exploring with electronic sounds this time round and it works a treat.

The first single ‘Still Swingin’’ is an anthemic, in-your-face monster and it’s not on its own, just take a listen to ‘Silence Is The Enemy’, ‘Give Me Back My Life’ and ‘Not That Beautiful’. The lyrics are forthright and irate; Papa Roach haven’t lost that aggressive fire inside of them that’s for sure: “We don't belong, never will. Never cared, we always kill. Suit me up and I will attack 'cause PRoach is the new black” Jacoby Shaddix sings on ‘Still Swingin’’.

The token gentler moments have not been forgotten: ‘Before I Die’, the towering ‘Leader Of The Broken Hearts’ and ‘As Far As I Remember’ remind you how great the band are at churning up powerful ballad-esque numbers.

‘The Connection’ showcases Papa Roach at their finest. The doubters had speculated they wouldn’t last much longer than the nu-metal trend, but thanks to their determination and screw you attitude, today Papa Roach are still swingin’ - and rockin’ – harder and better than ever!

‘The Connection’ is available on the following dates:
UK - October 1st 2012
USA – October 2nd 2012

www.paparoach.com

PostPosted: Sep 23 12 1:32:23 pm 
Hardcore Fan

hey people,

just want to say that the german release date is the 28th of september 8)
pre-ordered my deluxe edition 2 weeks ago. cant wait for the bonus tracks! ("What's Left Of Me" and "9th Life")

the album is awesome, but i cant understand why no one pointed out "breathe you in", that song is a monster!
the rest has already been said. killer album.

btw, i love "wont let up" not because coby is rapping again, but because the way he is doing it.

[EDIT] what i also think is great on this record, is the way the music supports and boosts the lyrics. it fits so good. i missed that. makes it more emotional.
and it feels like an album again. after LHT all records seemed to me like a bunch of songs, but this is finally an album again.

[EDIT2] this topic is about official reviews, so:

best review i read so far: http://www.purerawk.com/2012/09/18/album-review-papa-roach
Click to unveil the spoiler
Quote:
Right then, first up, I’ll admit that I’m not the biggest fan of Papa Roach. I loved Infest, and it’s hard to think that it was 13 years ago that you couldn’t switch on MTV Rocks and not hear about someone wanting their life cut into pieces …

The thing is, I fell out of favour with that whole “Nu Metal” scene, so bands like Staind, Disturbed and yes, Papa Roach, failed to excite me, so I never bothered listening to any more stuff. That was a mistake on my part, and I’m the first to admit that. I absolutely loved Staind’s last album, and I have the entire back catalogue (I think) of Disturbed’s albums. You don’t want to know about all of that though do you? Anyway, when Papa Roach’s new album came up for review, I was somewhat pensive, but I thought I’d give it a go to see what I’d been missing out on the last 13 years or so …

Holy crap, this album is VERY good. It’s full of songs that are rebellious, tinged with serious messages, and above all, they’re really strong. This is an album almost chock full of anthemic rock songs. With choruses so big, that they could easily fill the largest stadiums in the world. Some of them are really heavy, with riffs that will slice you in twain. Some of them though, are just so infectious.

A few tracks could easily slot into mainstream radio. Is that a bad thing? Nope definitely not, as this shows some great song writing skills. They suck you in, without warning, and they really are contagious. Before you know it, you’ll be singing along with them, such is the strength of the material on show.

Also of course, they have certainly shaken off that Nu Metal tag, well and truly. I didn’t know what to expect when I first pressed play, but this is a million miles away from what I thought it might be. There’s some serious attitude on display, and quite honestly, this is a top contender for one of my top albums of the year, it is simply that good. Papa Roach are major contenders for being among the top acts on the planet. I have little doubt that anyone who listens to this album won’t be able to find something that they like on it.

To give you some idea of exactly how much I do like this album, I went out and bought a ticket for one of the shows in December this year with Stone Sour, and before listening to this album, I can tell you now, that I wouldn’t have been that bothered at all.

This album has well and truly knocked me sideways, it’s hit me with such a sucker punch. It was totally unexpected, but boy does it feel good to be wrong sometimes. This album will get your neck aching for sure, and probably every other part of your body. It’s ferociously addictive, and every song is pure class.

Do I like it? Nope I don’t, I LOVE it. Papa Roach are back, and they’re still swinging, and I’m glad to have been stood in the way when they swung in my direction. I happen to think this album is nothing short of stunning, and I am still in total awe.

This album is going to be costly though, as it seems that I’ve got another back catalogue to go out and buy. I really like it when that happens.

http://www.rockindustry.co.uk/papa-roach-the-connection-album-review/5409/
Quote:
Papa Roach’s 6th studio album ‘The Connection’ is set for release on October 1st 2012 on Eleven Seven Music. Here at Rock Industry Magazine, we got a copy of the album and gave it a listen. We were not disappointed and it has been on solid rotation for the last few days.

The sound is typical Papa Roach but there is definitely a sign of maturity in the songs. Songs like As far as I remember have a definite melodic sound of stark contrast to the likes of the early rapping likes of Infest “Mr Dick if you’re nasty…….” and Before I die is just asking for a chillout Ibiza remix. BUT FEAR NOT….. this is definitely not an album of shit songs, this is a masterpiece.

The album is fantastically produced, clearly presented and obviously in the words of Paul Allender (Cradle of Filth) “Pro-tools’d” to death. But then multi-million selling artists are bound to be that crisp in production.

The first single released off the album Still Swingin’ is a blistering track, and definitely one to play live and go balls out. As is Breathe You In with lyrics like “Can’t i just be me, for fucks sake!” and Give me back my life is reminiscent of Getting away with murder so this album definitely caters for all eras of the Roach.

The songs go from emotional outpouring to call to arms destruction all the way through the album and in between you have 80′s beat sounding songs like Leader of the broken hearts but what makes it a Papa Roach signature song is when the chorus kicks in with the anthemic lyrics about battlefields and the symphonic guitar parts.

The one thing that has developed and changed the most over the 6 albums is Jacoby’s singing, it is a lot more melodic than scream tinged which no doubt will help his voice but won’t please the die hard early fans.

Following singer Jacoby Shaddix’s throat surgery which saw the band having to pull the plug on their US tour last month, the band are happy to announced their return to the UK for two shows with Stone Sour at London’s Brixton Academy on 10th & 11thDecember as well as a string of European dates. A full list of shows can be found at http://www.paparoach.com.

The stand out song of the album for us has to be Silence is the Enemy. Again it has a more of an intro found on a Rusko album but then it kicks in with an amazing sing-a-long track suitable for any size gig.

This is probably the overall conclusion of this album……genre mixing, starts off like its going to be a compilation of limp pop song on occasion but then grabs you by the papa roach loving testicles and buys you a jack n coke….verdict? Job fucking done! Cheers!

http://www.revolvermag.com/reviews/review-papa-roach-the-connection.html
Quote:
Nu-metal survivors Papa Roach’s sixth full-length is an exhilarating return to form. The tracks are grittier and crunchier, akin to their breakout albums Infested and lovehatetragedy, while incorporating the more radio-friendly elements of their later records. Vocalist Jacoby Shaddix is ballsy enough to even resurrect rapping, and with surprisingly strong results on standout tracks “Not that Beautiful” and “Won’t Let Up.” Most notable, though, is the raw, pounding, and pissed anthem “Give Me Back My Life.” The centerpiece of The Connection, it seems to sum up the album since, with it, Papa Roach have taken back that life for themselves. JEREMY BORJON

the hardest review so far: http://www.braingell.com/?p=40194
Quote:
Here we go with the seventh album from Papa Roach. It is nice to see that they have finally taken their time to produce an album rather than running through it as quick as possible to put cash in their back pockets, Metamorphosis is the clear example of this rushing and producing a sub-standard record. The Connection has a lot more depth and features a more diverse range in instruments, samples, keys and more time overall spent in the studio to create something that is worthwhile.

The usual suspects perform on this album, Jacoby Shaddix on vocals, Jerry Horton on lead guitar, Tobin Esperance on bass and Tony Palermo on Drums. However not much information is available on who helped them in the studio but they started recording this album November 1st 2011, and during this time they contributed the track ‘Even if I could’ to the blockbuster Marvel film ‘The Avengers’ (not everyone can say that, they must be doing something right). Tour dates are still to be decided for when they go out and perform this album live.

Very atmospheric, slow and open is just a couple of terms I use to describe the whole album, very different from the tight and snappy sound from previous albums, almost as if they have taken a leaf out of some of the more heavy metal bands out there which rely on atmosphere to define their style of music, but obviously no way new as hard. You can tell Jerry and Tobin (Guitar and Bass) has worked extremely hard to make each track its own, while keeping a similar theme throughout the album, technical riffs and great sounding leads which blend better than a smoothie. Tony (Drums) on the other hand has done well, although I think he is a little repetitive, not to take anything away from him as the theme of the album has been maintained and he is a fantastic drummer in his own right, it just seems he had very little input.

I keep banging on about the atmosphere in this album which is very reminiscent of 30 Seconds to Mars, (one band I hate and will never listen to or review) but without the pussy factor, this is immediately apparent on the first track, which just happened to be called ‘Intro’. Powerful, almost cinematic with lots of reverb, echo and lots of sound samples with a hint of that digital’ness setting the mood for what is to come. In fairness that same sound can be found throughout the album, more apparent towards the end of the album as it reaches its climax.

If you like a wide variety of music stretching to pop bull crap and this dub step shit you will love this album, however, some aspects of these other types of music is overdone, too much digital BS can be a little overpowering, yes, it will break the song up, and admittedly it does ‘go’. But no matter what track you listen to, it seems like it was forcibly chucked in there just to rape the song and make it feel defiled forever.

In conclusion a very different album all round to what we have come to expect from the hip hoppy / Rap and speedy creations that they are best known for. This album is almost telling us that they have matured and their balls have finally dropped. Apart from the forenamed problems with the album, it still is worth listening to………… just.

and some german reviews:
http://www.allschools.de/record/1307476
http://www.metalnews.de/cds/Papa+Roach+-+The+Connection.7679.html
http://www.metal4.de/review/papa-roach-the-connection

viva la cucaracha.

PostPosted: Sep 24 12 10:56:35 am 
Board Slut

the.one.u.dont.remember wrote:
the hardest review so far: http://www.braingell.com/?p=40194
Quote:
Here we go with the seventh album from Papa Roach. It is nice to see that they have finally taken their time to produce an album rather than running through it as quick as possible to put cash in their back pockets, Metamorphosis is the clear example of this rushing and producing a sub-standard record. The Connection has a lot more depth and features a more diverse range in instruments, samples, keys and more time overall spent in the studio to create something that is worthwhile.

The usual suspects perform on this album, Jacoby Shaddix on vocals, Jerry Horton on lead guitar, Tobin Esperance on bass and Tony Palermo on Drums. However not much information is available on who helped them in the studio but they started recording this album November 1st 2011, and during this time they contributed the track ‘Even if I could’ to the blockbuster Marvel film ‘The Avengers’ (not everyone can say that, they must be doing something right). Tour dates are still to be decided for when they go out and perform this album live.

Very atmospheric, slow and open is just a couple of terms I use to describe the whole album, very different from the tight and snappy sound from previous albums, almost as if they have taken a leaf out of some of the more heavy metal bands out there which rely on atmosphere to define their style of music, but obviously no way new as hard. You can tell Jerry and Tobin (Guitar and Bass) has worked extremely hard to make each track its own, while keeping a similar theme throughout the album, technical riffs and great sounding leads which blend better than a smoothie. Tony (Drums) on the other hand has done well, although I think he is a little repetitive, not to take anything away from him as the theme of the album has been maintained and he is a fantastic drummer in his own right, it just seems he had very little input.

I keep banging on about the atmosphere in this album which is very reminiscent of 30 Seconds to Mars, (one band I hate and will never listen to or review) but without the pussy factor, this is immediately apparent on the first track, which just happened to be called ‘Intro’. Powerful, almost cinematic with lots of reverb, echo and lots of sound samples with a hint of that digital’ness setting the mood for what is to come. In fairness that same sound can be found throughout the album, more apparent towards the end of the album as it reaches its climax.

If you like a wide variety of music stretching to pop bull crap and this dub step shit you will love this album, however, some aspects of these other types of music is overdone, too much digital BS can be a little overpowering, yes, it will break the song up, and admittedly it does ‘go’. But no matter what track you listen to, it seems like it was forcibly chucked in there just to rape the song and make it feel defiled forever.

In conclusion a very different album all round to what we have come to expect from the hip hoppy / Rap and speedy creations that they are best known for. This album is almost telling us that they have matured and their balls have finally dropped. Apart from the forenamed problems with the album, it still is worth listening to………… just.

This is the kind of review I expect to see from mainstream media, slating the band but admitting they've put out an amazing album. That 3STM thing is how I described The Connection to my girlfriend, like them but more manly so that's on cue.

So far I haven't read an all out bad review, if this is the worse it's great news. Be interesting as well as this and TFA have been their best received material in ages, so this sound will probably be kept for a while.