brokenh board

ruining peoples lives since 2000
It is currently Mar 29 17 2:17:14 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject: Re: NEW ALBUM 'F.E.A.R. (Face Everything And Rise)' - Early 2015
PostPosted: Mar 10 15 6:36:47 pm 
Groupie

xxASHLEYY wrote:
mikey g wrote:
Devil is a cool track , , and gravity , apart from the AWFUL verses , is this the same guy that rapped on "Infest"

this is pretty negative , , but Papa roach need to get some balls back in their music

Awful verses in Gravity? Are we listening to the same band? Because Gravity sounds like a track that a man poured his heart and soul into and let it all out. From the brutal honesty, to the way he delivered the verses, to the way his voice slightly cracked after Maria's verse- there's nothing awful about it.

We are in 2015. If you haven't realized, their style has evolved. So that means the way Jacoby lays out a rap can be different from the way he'd do it 15 years ago. Also, when the hell has his rapping ever stayed the same anyways? The way he raps on Infest vs. songs like SLMN, Won't Let Up, and now Gravity are all different.

And by the way, it is the same guy that rapped on Infest. Cus 15 years later, he can still lay it down like no other and sounds better than ever.

Diversity?! What a crazy thing for an artist to possess.

mikey g wrote:
but the guitar is so weak now

It's not. Not at all. I won't even get started on this. But please refer back to: FEAR, Broken As Me, Falling Apart, Warriors.

mikey g wrote:
the more watered down songs will slip in to their set list

LOL. I'll just leave this here.

mikey g wrote:
I feel they still have the knowhow and passion to make a album as heavy / aggressive like the earlier days

They do. And they keep doing it, 15 years later with albums like The Connection and FEAR.

Sorry to be so positive, but those are just my feelings.

- the rapping in "gravity" .........its just shit IMO , ill agree there is emotion in there, , but the structure of the verses , the words used , "the money the booze the girls" a 15 year old could come up with better than that , the chorus on Gravity is VERY strong , and I said in my original post I like the track itself , just the rapping lets it down massively ,on "Infest" the raps had edge , the lyrics were sharper , the delivery was better , okay jacoby still raps , but he has regressed massively in the rapping department , , the rap on "to be loved" as well , ha ha , AWFUL!! "taking it back to a hard-core level , be ready put your pedal to the metal" COME ON !!!! that's piss poor

I watched the LIVE video you posted , yep , he still sounds good I never doubted that ,but just compare the rapped verses on infest to the latter albums rapping , if you cant admit there is massive gulf in quality , your deluded , jacoby has allways wanted to be "rocker" so maybe his heart is just not in writing verses no more , im not saying he was on Eminem / Nas level , , but the raps on infest actually painted him out as quite a competent emcee IMO. , its not juast the rapping The lyrics were more relatable back in the day tbh and were more genuine because they were personal to Jacoby and it was back when he actually had something to say and before he got the annoying kind of sober dude who is all self righteous .
FEAR, Broken As Me, Falling Apart, Warriors. - - - DEAD RIFFS with no life , , maybe they could mix the guitar to sound more gritty , but obvs that ruins the clean poppy format there sticking to nowadays.

the set list you posted solidifies my point , where the ukk is M80 !!! , forever is balls , kick in the teeth is balls , warriors is balls ...............EDIT ................. there is quite a few tracks on that list that I didn't think they played no more , so ive made myself look a bit foolish there.

I've followed P roach longer than most people on this board ,been to countless shows , and I backed them as much as I could until they became a watered down version of themselves after GAWM trying to fit in and be relevant

newer fans on this board will read my post and be like "fuck this guy hes chatting shit" ..........but some may actually feel the same I think they have a bigger following with females than men because of all their damn anthems and sappy tracks.

They've become like a hard rock Bon Jovi. Which is sad. If they kept on the LHT/GAWM direction, then I probably would still be into them. They put on a killer show and Jacoby's interactions with the crowd are usually pretty cool, though , I WILL NEVER DOUBT THAT

like I said before , they just need some Balls back in their music IMO , everything lacks in their music nowadays

their still going strong though , so there doing something right

I bet newer P roach is the soundtrack to countless Girl sleepovers

Rock and (ROLL) x2

When i say Ready you say GO

Ready (GO) x2

PostPosted: Mar 10 15 10:03:17 pm 
International Board Slut

Re: Gravity-
I don't think you can compare this to anything on Infest because it's a different type of song altogether. The topic is about a loving relationship surviving insane ups and downs. It's a bit more romantic than a song like Thrown Away. It doesn't call for furious, rapid-fire rapping. It's a sad fucking song about two people, not about being rebellious and wanting to destroy. And by the way, you can't lose skills. You can't be an awesome rapper and then one day you don't know how to anymore. Different songs call for different things. You don't always need complicated metaphors or to shove in as many lyrics as possible just cus you can. And for the record, I never once considered To Be Loved's pedal-to-the-medal lyrics "rap." It's just a chant to me.

FFS *you're, not your.

Why would you ever question if Jacoby's lyrics are genuine?

"annoying kind of sober dude who is all self righteous"
Honestly, just fuck off with that comment.

You don't know how the setlist is these days, but yet you're going to comment on the state of it? OK…?

I would like you to count the shows. I am sure they are countable. Do it. For me.

There aren't any newer fans here. No one comes here.

Why would girls listening to them at sleepovers be an insult? I listened to Guns N' Roses, Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath at sleepovers. Does that make them shit now that you know that?

ADIR FOR EVER!

PostPosted: Mar 11 15 12:09:05 am 
Hardcore Fan

Starstruck wrote:
Different songs call for different things. You don't always need complicated metaphors or to shove in as many lyrics as possible just cus you can.

This.

Look, it's cool if you don't like where Roach has gone with their music. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and you don't have to like everything they do. But when you are using the same dead argument of comparing them now to music they made FIFTEEN years ago, then it's time to give it up. That argument is fifteen years too old. There is nothing constructive or of value about that argument anymore.

mikey g wrote:
but just compare the rapped verses on infest to the latter albums rapping , if you cant admit there is massive gulf in quality , your deluded

I'm not deluded. I am just open to different styles of music. I'm not stuck in the year 2000. And like I said, you cannot compare songs 15 years ago to a song from them now. Now THAT is deluded. You take music for what it is. It's art. Each piece is different and unique in its own way. And if you can't do that, then I feel sorry for you because you are truly missing out on so many wonderful artists out there.

mikey g wrote:
FEAR, Broken As Me, Falling Apart, Warriors. - - - DEAD RIFFS with no life

Okay, well that is your opinion, and again, that's cool. But I'm just gonna completely disagree with this. There is PLENTY of life in the riffs in these songs, in my opinion. I've played guitar for 8-9 years now, and I learned Broken As Me a few days ago and have had a ton of fun jamming with it. Jerry/Tobin throw in little things in each one that makes those songs their own. And that is what gives it life to me.

mikey g wrote:
The lyrics were more relatable back in the day tbh and were more genuine because they were personal to Jacoby and it was back when he actually had something to say and before he got the annoying kind of sober dude who is all self righteous

More genuine lyrics? Have you really listened to FEAR? I don't think there's a song on there that isn't genuine and from the heart? This is the most open Jacoby has been with us in a very long time. He doesn't write music for you. This album is him opening up about things that he has dealt with. Not everyone is going to relate to what he is going through. He's not 20something years old anymore. He's been dealing with different things in his life now.

And that "annoying kind of sober dude who is all self-righteous" comment. I'm not even going to entertain that. Self righteous?! He is the furthest fucking thing from self-righteous. He doesn't think he's superior over ANYONE. I've never seen a man be as hard on themselves as he is. He is allowed to be proud of his sobriety. He has worked so fucking hard for it. And for anyone to talk negatively about that is incredibly disrespectful.

mikey g wrote:
forever is balls , kick in the teeth is balls , warriors is balls

I don't see any point you were trying to make here. Forever/KITT are fun as hell and still keep the crowd going. I've only had the chance of seeing Warriors thrown in once out of the 6 shows I went to on the last US run, and from where I was standing, I couldn't really get a feel of the set just cus of the sound. But since it's back in the setlist, I can only assume it's been cohesive to the set and keeps people going because they wouldn't keep it otherwise.

mikey g wrote:
but some may actually feel the same I think they have a bigger following with females than men because of all their damn anthems and sappy tracks... I bet newer P roach is the soundtrack to countless Girl sleepovers

Get the fuck out of here with your misogynistic bullshit. Is there something wrong with them having a large female following? Is there something wrong with Roach making a few ballads? The answer is no, there isn't. Ballads aren't reserved just for women, the last I checked. I remember you posting back in the day about how bad you wanted to see Scars live. That is probably the most ballad-like song they have, in my opinion. So please, contradict yourself more.

I hope young girls are listening to Roach during sleepovers. That'll mean they're listening to damn good music.

Don't ever use women as an insult and to make it seem like their music is any less. Because fuck that noise.

basictheory wrote:
so money

PostPosted: Mar 11 15 1:06:01 pm 
Groupie

all of your replies were a interesting read

I think I am clearly stuck in the past , expecting them to be the band they was 15 years ago ,

I Rate the old stuff , and it will always get rotation on my playlist , , , the new stuff , I just cant get on board with that , so ill guess ill just enjoy the old stuff

@starstruck - - you wanted me to name the shows , okay ill try , im defo not going for a "ive been to more shows than you" vibe , I was just stating that when I enjoyed their music I saw them as much as possible

Papa Roach / (Hed)pe / Apartment 26: London Astoria - Jan 2001 (I think)
Brixton academy 2001
mean fiddler 2002 (best show I seen of them)
Astoria - 2004
Astoria - 2005
100 club London - 2006
and about 3 more

you said no one comes here anymore?? what about slavetothesystem?? dom I think was his name , , that guy was the biggest fan of roach ever! , and "onabinge" ?

the board does seem not very active tbh , I remember it used to be quite busy

"Don't ever use women as an insult and to make it seem like their music is any less. Because fuck that noise." ................................ sorry about that , , I love women

Rock and (ROLL) x2

Ready (GO) x2

PostPosted: Mar 13 15 7:51:24 am 
Board Slut

I'm still here and have read both arguments carefully. First, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, everyone has a voice, I'm not going to knock someone for writing what they feel. Second, nobody is 100% right, its that way in life, at home, and on the internet. Best you can do is soak up as much information as you can and put your best foot forward. I've always felt this message board was a bit of a crossroads between music, culture, age, and demographics. A think tank where together we start off at x and end at y and y>x. If someone on the board felt the exact way I did, liked the songs and albums the exact way I do, I wouldn't learn much.

For the new fans, PRoach have come through post Interscope with 3 bad ass albums and heavy touring schedules. For the old fans, the band is playing Infest in it's entirety, and have offered olive branches bringing back PR staples of rap, heavy guitar. The message of standing up for yourself has moved out of the household and into the world. The rebels, and those who come from broken homes stand together now with those fighting sickness, and adversity. Our backgrounds are different, but after 15 years the message is the same, we fight.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is, right now 2015 it's a great time to be a fan. 8)

http://www.twitter.com/bingeMAFIA

PostPosted: Apr 01 15 2:54:50 am 
Board Slut

Always a winning response:

mikey g wrote:
................................ sorry about that , , I love women

PostPosted: Apr 10 15 12:13:34 pm 
Groupie

ha ha , , , joker

I heard p roach played INFEST IN FULL in London the other night?

fuck!! I been ranting I love the old stuff , , and I missed that gig

im a ####

Rock and (ROLL) x2

Ready (GO) x2

PostPosted: Feb 25 16 6:32:35 pm 
Groupie

this board defo not very active

SOOOOOOOOOOO

ive been listening to "the connection" latley

i really appreciate the latter tracks on this album

"walking dead"
"wont let up"
"whats left of me"

STILL LOVE THE OLDER STUFF WAY MORE

But next time P roach are in London , ,im gonna try and catch the show

I really do respect these guys , , also FEAR entered the UK album chat at 13 , , theyve worked hard and its paid off

Rock and (ROLL) x2

Ready (GO) x2

PostPosted: Apr 28 16 12:31:12 am 
Hardcore Fan

I still pop on here from time to time..just an old habit, but I was pleasantly surprised to see a post from this year lol.

I really loved the hell out of FEAR when it was first released, but I'll admit it's not their best effort. Recently re-listened to The Connection all the way through and that is the superior album. Looking forward to what their cooking up next.

I would love to catch a P-Roach gig in London, I def feel that Euro crowds are much better than here in the States and I've been wanting to visit the UK for years now. Glad to hear P-Roach are doing well there!

Welp..cheers to whomever is still visiting this site!

PostPosted: Jun 03 16 9:41:53 am 
Groupie

ha ha i hear you man

im just bored at work , so looking through the forum lol

I listened to LHT last night , my god that album is just Killer !!

yeah they seem to be fairly popular here in the UK still in 2016

you should defo visit London if you get a chance , always something going on

Peace

Rock and (ROLL) x2

Ready (GO) x2

PostPosted: Jul 05 16 12:39:02 am 
Hardcore Fan

Been listening to LHT a lot recently and I still feel more attached to that than any other P-Roach album. Hopefully they do something special for the 15th anniversary next year.

And I think I'll be taking a trip to London very soon now that tix from Philly to London are much cheaper due to the Brexit. I'll definitely rock a P-Roach shirt or hoodie while there lol..

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6