brokenh board

ruining peoples lives since 2000
It is currently Feb 19 18 7:05:12 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: DWL
PostPosted: Nov 23 08 3:15:15 pm 
Administrator

So, here's the deal, Dead World Leaders are going strong. This year we did London Calling, Red Stripe Music Awards and just did In The City 2008 in Manchester. They just won 'Best Unsigned Act' at the Exposed Magazine awards, to a sell out 2,000 crowd.

It looks like we're going to be doing SXSW next year, I've put a lot of work in to that, I think we're gonna make it. So with all the tours with Reverend and the Makers, Snow Patrol, Milburn, Silversun Pickups etc I really want your thoughts. Judging by the bands they've toured with you'll think DWL are soft, they aint, they're INDIE but they're INDIE ROCK.

I'm asking you to go to www.deadworldleaders.com and as music fans check out the latest 3 tracks, they're on there, do it. Please tell me what you think, am I chasing a lost cause? As music fans, give me your honest opinion.

Post subject: Re: DWL
PostPosted: Nov 23 08 4:38:17 pm 
Board Slut

haha, i was wondering when you we're gonna write a thread about them again, cause i read it on their homepage yesterday (the best unsigned act thingy), and i signed up to the streetteam
so yes, i like them, you should send "studio brussel" a mixtape, i think they could get big here, i let some of my friends hear them, they were like: "dude, why aren't they big yet?!"

and when will they release a full album?
and if they do, could you send me a copy? i should have a creditcard by then i hope :d

DJpsycho wrote:
Wim, you are my hero.

PostPosted: Nov 23 08 5:34:41 pm 
Hardcore Fan

I think they are soft but not softer than the afformentioned bands. 1 thing that sets this band apart from the rest of the indie stuff is that the songs have meaning and I really like 'em. (I don't like any other indie band)

PostPosted: Dec 30 08 3:23:42 am 
Administrator

Check it out, after winning the Best Unsigned Act award, Exposed Magazine went nuts on DWL. Including, Matt Helders' personal seal of approval (Arctic Monkeys drummer):

PostPosted: Dec 30 08 10:18:36 am 
Board Slut

like i said before
get them to fucking belgium!
i let people hear them, and they all loved it

DJpsycho wrote:
Wim, you are my hero.

PostPosted: Dec 30 08 5:43:01 pm 
Administrator

That could be a lot closer than you think, it's not confirmed yet, but we may have landed a BIG European tour with a much bigger band for 2009.

DWL supported The Enemy the other night, dunno if you've heard of them but they had a number 1 album over here and are supporting Oasis next Summer. Gig was mental, 1,500 people and sold out in 10 minutes!

PostPosted: Dec 30 08 5:51:35 pm 
Another Gig Virgin

That is amazing, really :)

Go deep. The deeper you go the more likely you will discover something of value.
Capture accidents. The wrong answer is the right answer in search of a different question. Collect wrong answers as part of the process. Ask different questions.
Don’t be cool. Cool is conservative fear dressed in black. Free yourself from limits of this sort.
Stay up late. Strange things happen when you’ve gone too far, been up too long, worked too hard, and you're separated from the rest of the world.
From Bruce Mau's Incomplete Manifesto

PostPosted: Dec 30 08 9:40:05 pm 
Board Slut

that is nice indeed!
btw dom, would it be possible to send me an ep or something? as soon as i can get a creditcard, i'll send you money for it
and i'd so love to see them over here (and to see them backstage, vip, free, hint hint)

DJpsycho wrote:
Wim, you are my hero.

PostPosted: Dec 30 08 11:55:23 pm 
Administrator

All the songs are available on www.deadworldleaders.com including the most recent EP and the previous singles and demos. I can send you a hard copy if you want with the full artwork etc, PM me your address. The band are due to record again in February.

PostPosted: Dec 31 08 12:47:23 am 
Board Slut

Thats amazing Dom!
Good to see the press theyre getting etc :D
Well done

PostPosted: Dec 31 08 12:48:04 am 
Board Slut

that'd be cool!
i've got most of it from the site, but not everything yet, but the hard copy would be awesome
and the fact that i'll probably be the first belgian person to have it is even more awesome :p

DJpsycho wrote:
Wim, you are my hero.

PostPosted: Dec 31 08 1:57:12 am 
Administrator

sgw2927 wrote:
Thats amazing Dom!
Well done

Yeah cheers, I've worked with and have been managing bands since I was 17, would be nice after 8 years if it paid off. Been an interesting few years though, learned so much about the music industry, it is one tough nut to crack. I have seen some of the worst venues across the UK you could ever imagine, and have enjoyed some fantastic times and great experiences. I've become a lot more professional over the past 2 years and believe me this industry is ALL about who you know and not what you know, contacts are everything, it's about a million to 1 shot for a band to get signed on pure talent. That part of the industry sucks, but once you have a record deal you have more flexibility and control (which is ironic) and then it's not all about the contacts, but whilst you are unsigned it is ALL about making contacts.

Getting any label to pay attention to you without any layer of credibility is mission impossible, and A and R scouts are very bizarre people. A method I used was to hire a solicitor and get them to approach labels on my behalf, that way labels will listen because they know solicitors are money driven and wouldnt bother representing an act if they didnt think there was something in it in the long term. It's all about getting the big support slots to play to more people, trying to get on the industry events and working your ass off, the road is long for any band and you need to be in it for the long haul.

PostPosted: Dec 31 08 4:56:24 pm 
Board Slut

SLAVETOTHESYSTEM wrote:
sgw2927 wrote:
Thats amazing Dom!
Well done

Yeah cheers, I've worked with and have been managing bands since I was 17, would be nice after 8 years if it paid off. Been an interesting few years though, learned so much about the music industry, it is one tough nut to crack. I have seen some of the worst venues across the UK you could ever imagine, and have enjoyed some fantastic times and great experiences. I've become a lot more professional over the past 2 years and believe me this industry is ALL about who you know and not what you know, contacts are everything, it's about a million to 1 shot for a band to get signed on pure talent. That part of the industry sucks, but once you have a record deal you have more flexibility and control (which is ironic) and then it's not all about the contacts, but whilst you are unsigned it is ALL about making contacts.

Getting any label to pay attention to you without any layer of credibility is mission impossible, and A and R scouts are very bizarre people. A method I used was to hire a solicitor and get them to approach labels on my behalf, that way labels will listen because they know solicitors are money driven and wouldnt bother representing an act if they didnt think there was something in it in the long term. It's all about getting the big support slots to play to more people, trying to get on the industry events and working your ass off, the road is long for any band and you need to be in it for the long haul.

tell me about it!
in the electronic music, it's the same
i couldn't have gotten as far as i'm now, if i didn't know the people i know. And once you know a few people, you get into this world full of other dj's, and a lot of them throw parties themselves. (as do i, got a big one coming up in january, we expect 500-1000people)
but once you know them, you gotta show them what you're worth, they just wont shoot you too quick if you're friends ;)

DJpsycho wrote:
Wim, you are my hero.

PostPosted: Dec 31 08 5:25:23 pm 
Board Slut

I feel ya man, It aint easy!
Were doing wuite alright for ourselves though :)
But I would like some new contacts too lmao

PostPosted: Jan 13 09 1:10:55 am 
Administrator

Alex, if you know anyone up for this can you spread the word please. Going to be a corking night:

PostPosted: Jan 13 09 1:39:49 am 
Board Slut

Yeah, i can think of a couple of relevant people, will mention it to them.

PostPosted: Jan 17 09 12:19:57 pm 
Administrator

If anyone can make the following gigs, please come along, you'll love it and I would consider it personal support:

Sat 31st January - The Cooler, Bristol

Fri 6th February - The Harley, Sheffield

Thurs 12th February - The Barfly, Birmingham

Sat 28th February - Red Lion, Oxford