(not in order)
Last Resort
BAAI
GAWM
Scars
To Be Loved
Forever
TIRO
Hollywood Whore (dedicated to Charlie Sheen)
Lifeline
Burn
KITT
One Track Mind
The Enemy

-Was the Montreal crowd different than a US show?
Yes.

-What does the crowd sound like when they chant "Papa Roach" with their accent?
"Pop-air-Roach!"

Now the long-winded version because I'm in a write-y mood:

My day started off annoying. It's a long haul from where I live (about 6 1/2 hrs away) so I had to get up early and only got about 5 1/2 hours of broken sleep. I got a hotel about 65 miles away south of Montreal where I was to arrive in the afternoon, enjoy a nap because I'm childlike, then get ready and enjoy a leisurely drive to the show.

Well, about an hour from my hotel, I start hearing a noise. "Why does my car sound like a helicopter?" I wondered. As it turned out, I had a flat. Let me tell you, being by yourself in the Adirondack Mountains with a flat after hours of driving in the rain is not a good feeling. Thankfully AAA help arrived quickly. He told me that if I had broken down about 5 miles later, I would have been in a dead zone and wouldn't have had cell phone service for 20 miles.

Even after wasting hours on that debacle, I figured that since Roach didn't go on til 11, I was still safe. Maybe I wouldn't be ON the barricade, but I'd find a spot somewhere semi-down front like I always can. Then I saw Jacoby posted a blog celebrating that the show was sold out. Rather than being psyched for them, I read it as "Hey jackass! After all this nonsense, you're not even going to be able to see! Have fun!" FML!

When I got there, of course it was jam packed and hot as hell when I walked in. I beat myself up thinking "I must be insane. Why do I do this?" I walked around the venue for awhile as Buckcherry played. As I searched for a spot, I remarked to myself how cool it was that this place was so big and was totally filled (capacity is around 2300 apparently). Finally I found a place back by the bar. This was going to suck. As you all well know once you've had a taste of being either barricade or at least pretty close to it, anything else will just not do. Oh well. I figured at least I could see the whole stage (balcony overhang, column on right):

When the band first came out and launched into "Kick In The Teeth", I was still sulking like a brat about not being down front and ruminating on how crap my day had gone. Then it hit me: Yes. Today sucked. But the day isn't over yet. Is this how I want to remember this night? No. I yelled at myself to lighten up. It was right around One Track Mind when I felt myself smiling and singing along. Then I remembered "Ah right. This is why I go to the shows so much." By show's end, I seriously had forgotten how mad I had felt the first 12 hours of my day.

Anyway, as far as the crowd goes, they were definitely different than the US. First off, hellooo Montreal men. How YOU doin'? Secondly, during the incorrect singalong every crowd seems to partake in during Forever that somehow went viral all over the world (one last kiss), the WHOLE place was singing. Usually at my shows half the place sings while the other half texts or talks or whatever it is ADD Americans do during a rock show. Also, when the band left the stage before the encore, the whole hall (a GA floor plus 2 balconies) chanted "Papa Roach!" unprompted. That was pretty cool. Also cool was the Wall of Death during the BAAI intro (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJpd2WbJSjA around 1:05).

If you got this far, bless you. I just felt like telling a nice tale how once again a Roach show lifted my spirits. Plus I figured you could relate to the ironic stress a planned evening of stress-escape can induce.

ADIR FOR EVER!

Post subject: Re: Montreal. Je me souviens.
PostPosted: Mar 18 11 8:37:01 pm 
Board Slut

You're so dedicated and I really respect that. Major props for doing this "for just a gig".

Aside from that your reviews are always top notch.

The Forever thing is really hilarious, as you said it's gone viral and I hear it at every show too. Would be funny to know what the guys think about that.

I haven't noticed any accents in the PRoach chants so far, because I've seen them only once outside of Austria and that was Germany, but I can imagine how funny that must've been.

P.S: The sound mix is mostly better in the back of the venue anyway.

PostPosted: Mar 18 11 10:48:03 pm 
International Board Slut

I started noticing the Forever stuff in the summer of 2007. I think it's cus that part of the song is really touching so people can't wait for that verse to come. But only recently Jacoby has included the mistake singalong as part of the song performance. As in, he automatically points the mic at the crowd to have them sing whereas before it just kinda happened.

It's still a cool experience to see the show from a distance for the different perspective and appreciate the whole stage presentation. But I was so dead set on barricade last night that I just wallowed in self-pity about not being able to get anywhere close. The floor was PACKED.

I can hear the accents on TFA for sure on Last Resort as well as in this video from Montreal: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfDeShssWFA the "ort" is where I pick it up. Ort. LOL.

ADIR FOR EVER!

PostPosted: Mar 19 11 5:42:40 pm 

You definately should have come to the Quebec city show instead. I was there Thursday, and It was really AWESOME. The crowd was great too. That's what I like about Quebec city, it's more decent (sorry for montrealers reading this but, I'm from trois-rivieres, and I like Quebec better). I had no trouble getting in front row, and even had a chat about what I thought would be the setlist with an unknown dude beside me. It was at the Imperial Theatre, which is a significantly smaller venue than the Metropolis in Montreal, but believe me, I've been to both places, and visually, the place is really better.
The way the floors are divided , you can see everything even if you're in the back, compared to the Metropolis, where you need to be at least in the middle row to enjoy the show.

PostPosted: Mar 19 11 7:16:57 pm 
International Board Slut

Quebec is awesome. But it's a 9 hour drive for me, which is outside my driving tolerance.

ADIR FOR EVER!

PostPosted: Mar 19 11 9:50:17 pm 

Well, when you're in MTL, you still have to struggle to find a parking. I reserved mine for 5 dollars one block away from the venue in QC !

PostPosted: Mar 19 11 11:59:54 pm 
International Board Slut

Actually, I parked directly across the street from Metropolis for $20. Being used to NYC parking, and being that I was already late and didn't want to drive around, I just paid it and went inside. That price is about average for Manhattan anyway.

ADIR FOR EVER!