brokenh board

ruining peoples lives since 2000
It is currently Oct 24 17 1:10:16 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: MMR-BQ 2011
PostPosted: May 24 11 12:49:34 am 
Hardcore Fan

I went to see P-Roach at the Susquehanna Bank Center in Camden NJ (largely considered a part of Philly) yesterday for the annual MMR-BQ hosted by Philly's historic WMMR rock radio station. This was the first time I got the chance to see P-Roach in a few years, so I was pretty pumped up. They were billed as one of 3 headlining acts, along with Seether and 3 Doors Down. The other acts on the bill were Rev Theory, Sick Puppies, Finger Eleven, Alter Bridge and Apocolyptia. I missed the first 2 bands, and I thought Finger Eleven were ok, but didn't get much of a chance to shine with their short amount of stage time. I'll admit I didn't bother watching Alter Bridge's set since my friend didn't want to see them, and Apocolyptia were interesting, but not a band I would pay to go see headline. They spent most of their set doing instrumental Metallica covers and when they did attempt to sing, it wasn't that good.

P-roach came on after Apocolyptia, and the crowd was buzzing. For the first time all day, everybody stood up to see P-Roach. They easily had the most energy out of every band there and set the bar high for Seether and 3 Doors Down (who were not able to one up P-Roach). Jacoby worked the crowd good and came into the crowd during TIRO and Hollywood Whore. He is the only front man I have ever seen do that live. People around me were shocked, but I was expecting him to do as much. Instrumentally everybody was tight and sounded just as good as if they were in the studio. I love the little tweaks they make during some songs that enhance the live experience. Vocally, Coby brought his A game and barely missed any notes. However he seems to always be out of breath when singing One Track Mind. There is nothing wrong that, the man needs to take a breather once in a while, and the band did an extended version of the bridge, which was a nice treat. Honestly, there isn't much more I can say about this band live that hasn't already been said countless times. I would just be preaching to the choir. They easily stole the show and proved that they deserve to fully headline events like this. I seen more people wearing P-Roach shirts than any other band shirts and I heard many people talking about how they should of closed the show. It was great to see them get such a positive reaction from roughly 15,000 people, especially considering that they haven't been too popular in the Philly area for years.

I wasn't expecting anything special from the set list since it was a festival gig, but I was pleasantly surprised they got to play 13 songs. After yesterday's show, I understand more than ever why they do the "safe" set list they have been doing, especially at festivals. But they threw in a couple songs that weren't guarantee's and they also changed up the order, it was a nice surprise to hear BAAI early in the set. I know this has been a rather long post and I could go on and on the more I think about a live Roach show, but anyways here was the set list..in as close of an order as I can remember:

GAWM
...To Be Loved
Burn
BAAI
Forever
TIRO
Lifeline
Hollywood Whore
One Track Mind
Scars
Kick In The Teeth
Dead Cell